DSS VS CABLE
- Direct Broadcast Satellite
- Specific reference to the DBS system offered by DIRECTV/USSB
- DTH Broadcast Satellite
- Direct-to-Home Broadcast Satellite. DirecTV and USSB's satellites are
manufactured by Hughes. Echostars' satellite are manufactured by Lockheed Martin. These
satellites are in a geostationary orbit about 22,800 miles above the earth in various
orbital slots within the Clarke Belt.
- Digital Video Broadcast - system offered by Echostar
- Infrared Universal Remote Control
- Line-of-sight remote which will control the satellite receiver and
two to four other infrared units such as TVs, VCRs, DVDs or stereo amplifiers.
- The Low Noise Blockdown Feedhorn amplifies the signal collected on
the parabolic antenna(dish). It works on 13V of power which is supplied by the satellite
receiver. A single LNBF will feed one receiver, and a dual LNBF will feed two or more
- The Low Noise Blockdown amplifier performs the same functions as the
- Specific data transmission protocol (format) developed by the Moving
Pictures Experts Group (MPEG). MPEG-1 protocol is not as advanced as MPEG-2 protocol.
- Latest specific data transmission protocol (format) developed by the
Moving Pictures Experts Group (MPEG). It is a more advanced protocol than MPEG-1 due
primarily its all-digital transmission of data at between 4 and 9 megabits/second
(Mbit/sec). Several other enhancements over MPEG-1 are also realized. MPEG formating is
the specific formating in which data is transmitted to satellites, transmitted back to
earth, and interpreted by set-top units.
- On-screen Program Guide
- This interactive feature allows the user to access and scroll through
complete program listings right on his/her television screen, in most cases up to a week
- One-Touch Recording
- Wigh the touch of one button on the remote, the user can create
multiple time recordings of future programs in the on-screen guide. The satellite receiver
will control the VCR, starting and stopping the recording at the proper times.
- Parental Lockout Control
- Allows user to set a password to control access to programming based
on channel, rating or content.
- Program Browsing
- Allows user to scroll through program guide while still watching
- RF/UHF Universal Remote Control
- Controls satellite receiver from distances up to 100 feet, through
walls and other obstructions. Also offers infrared control of other A/V components.
- Equipment in orbit that can transmit signals between station and
distributor) or (distributor and homeowner); the signals can be analog or digital; each
satellite usually has the capacity to transmit a number of different signals
- Satellite Dish
- Receives the transmissions being sent from satellites; Distributors
have dishes to receive the transmissions from the broadcast stations; Howeowners have
dishes to receive transmissions that have been retransmitted by the distributors.
- See-through Menu/Guide Displays
- Program guide and/or menus can be accessed without the loss of audio
- Set-Top Unit
- Device that converts the digital signal received by the dish to
whatever signals are required by the TV set; the name set-top implies that the device sits
atop the television.
- Smart Card
- The Smart Card identifies the receiver to the network. It authorizes
descrambling of the satellite signal, and authorizes purchases using the receiver.